Organisation : Election Commission of India
Announcement : Presidential Election 2017 Result
Country : India
Election Date : 17th July 2017
Download Result Notification : https://www.electionin.in/uploads/5116-Result_20072017.pdf
Download Certification : https://www.electionin.in/uploads/5116-PN61_21072017.pdf
Home Page : http://eci.nic.in/
|You can now ask your questions about this election. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
Presidential Election Result :
Total No. of Valid Ballot Papers 4 774 representing lO 69 358 votes
Total No. of lnvalid Ballot Papers 77 representing 20 942 votes
Related : ECI Presidential Election 2017 FAQ Frequently Asked Questions : www.electionin.in/5053.html
Name of Candidate | Votes secured at first count :
Smt. Meira Kumar 367314
Shri Ramnath Kovind 702044
Exhausted Votes :
TOTAL 10 69 358
I declare that
Shri Ramnath Kovind
42, HIG Maharishi Dayanand Vihar,
Phase-2, Kalyanpur, Kanpur,
has been duly elected to the Office of the President of India.
Place: New Delhi
Date: 20th July,2017
Where is the counting of votes in a Presidential election held?
The counting of votes is done in the office of the Returning officer at New Delhi.
When is the security deposit of a candidate in a Presidential Election forfeited?
The Security deposit shall be forfeited if the candidate is not elected and the number of valid votes polled by him does not exceed one-sixth of the number of votes necessary to secure return of a candidate at such election.
Eligibility for re-election :
A person who holds, or who has held, office as President shall, subject to the other provisions of this Constitution, be eligible for re-election to that office.
Qualifications for election as President :
(1) No person shall be eligible for election as President unless he-
(a) is a citizen of India,
(b) has completed the age of thirty-five years, and
(c) is qualified for election as a member of the House of the People.
(2) A person shall not be eligible for election as President if he holds any office of profit under the Government of India or the Government of any State or under any local or other authority subject to the control of any of the said Governments.
For the purposes of this article, a person shall not be deemed to hold any office of profit by reason only that he is the President or Vice-President of the Union or the Governor_48*** of any State or is a Minister either for the Union or for any State.
Conditions of President’s office :
(1) The President shall not be a member of either House of Parliament or of a House of the Legislature of any State, and if a member of either House of Parliament or of a House of the Legislature of any State be elected President, he shall be deemed to have vacated his seat in that House on the date on which he enters upon his office as President.
(2) The President shall not hold any other office of profit.
(3) The President shall be entitled without payment of rent to the use of his official residences and shall be also entitled to such emoluments, allowances and privileges as may be determined by Parliament by law and, until provision in that behalf is so made, such emoluments, allowances and privileges as are specified in the Second Schedule.
(4) The emoluments and allowances of the President shall not be diminished during his term of office.
Procedure for impeachment of the President :
(1) When a President is to be impeached for violation of the Constitution, the charge shall be preferred by either House of Parliament.
(2) No such charge shall be preferred unless-
(a) the proposal to prefer such charge is contained in a resolution which has been moved after at least fourteen days’ notice in writing signed by not less than onefourth of the total number of members of the House has been given of their intention to move the resolution, and
(b) such resolution has been passed by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the total membership of the House.
(3) When a charge has been so preferred by either House of Parliament, the other House shall investigate the charge or cause the charge to be investigated and the President shall have the right to appear and to be represented at such investigation.
(4) If as a result of the investigation a resolution is passed by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the total membership of the House by which the charge was investigated or caused to be investigated, declaring that the charge preferred against the President has been sustained, such resolution shall have the effect of removing the President from his office as from the date on which the resolution is so passed.