Organisation : Chief Electoral Officer, Madhya Pradesh
Facility : Persons with Disabilities PWD Facility
Applicable State : Madhya Pradesh
Website : http://ceomadhyapradesh.nic.in/PWD.aspx
|You can now ask your questions about this election. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
CEO Madhya Pradesh PWD Facility
Disability is the consequence of an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental, or some combination of these that result in restrictions on an individual’s ability to participate in what is considered “normal” in their everyday society.
Related : CEO Madhya Pradesh State Legislative Assembly Bye Election February 24th 2018 : www.electionin.in/5745.html
A disability may be present from birth, or occur during a person’s lifetime.
Improving Physical Access & Facilities
1. It shall be ensured that polling stations are situated on the ground floor, if not, lift facility/extension of ramp to each floor should be provided.
2. A standardized and uniform design of ramps shall be implemented.
3. Temporary/Mobile ramps shall be made available where ever permanent ramp facility cannot be provided.
4. Access to ramps shall be made smooth in places of sandy and slushy pathways.
5. Ramps shall be provided in such a manner that it directly leads to the door of polling stations to avoid navigating through corridors.
6. Proper approach roads to Polling Stations shall be ensured by local authorities/respective departments.
7. Mobile barricades in front of Doors of each Polling Station shall be erected.
8. Entrance door of polling station shall be kept wide open and adequate space around the voting compartment should be ensured for wheel chair movement.
9. Facility for separate entry should be made available for persons with disabilities wherever possible.
10. Pathway to polling rooms shall have indicators with standard signage.
11. Depending on the number of PWDs among electors in a polling station, facilities like ramp, tricycles, basic information through audio-video, should be made available. These facilities should be physically verified and certified by the Observer deputed by the Commission.
12. Wheel chairs shall be provided at identified polling stations.
13. Priority entry passes shall be issued to persons with disabilities. All possible steps should be taken to ensure that PWDs are not required to wait in queue.
Working Group 4 for PWD
The Election Commission of India constituted a working group vide their order No. 193/6/2015(Committees) dated November 2, 2015 for evolving a frame work to address requirements of persons with disabilities (PwDs) with the Chief Electoral Officer, Madhya Pradesh as its chair person.
The other members are Mr. Anil Kumar Jha, Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka, Mr. Shangara Ram (retired now), Senior Principal Secretary, ECI, Ms. Jayshree M.G., Director (Statistics), ECI, Mr. V.N. Shukla, Director(IT) and Mr. N.N. Butolia, Secretary, ECI as member secretary.
The statutory objective was to evolve a framework to address requirement of PwDs and also to study the best practices being followed by other election management bodies (EMBs)
Many people with disabilities do not have equal access to health care, education, and employment opportunities, do not receive the disabilityrelated services in elections that they deserve. Disability is increasingly understood as a human rights issue.
Disability is also an important development issue with an increasing body of evidence showing that persons with disabilities experience worse socio-economic outcomes and poverty than persons without disabilities.